Orchid Fairies, Pixies and Gnomes at Fairchild’s International Orchid Festival
Coral Gables, FL, March 13, 2009—Fairies and pixies and gnomes, oh my! That’s what it’s all about for children of all ages this weekend at Fairchild’s International Orchid Festival. Whether it’s decorating a cupcake with fairy dust, learning that vanilla comes from orchids, storytelling by a real flower fairy, creating fairy wings or a gnome hat to take home or participating in the fairy parade held both Saturday and Sunday, children will delight in the wonderful world of fairies and their friends! Below is a schedule of events for children:
Saturday and Sunday
Ongoing in the Learning Garden tents and Chickee hut:
Decorate a yummy Vanilla Orchid Fairy cake, and sprinkle it with magic fairy dust, courtesy of Sweetcakes Cupcakes. A craft you can eat!
- Make your own tricked-out Fairy Wings or Gnome Hats to wear! Decorate them with your own fairy dust, ribbons, and other embellishments and then wear them in the parade!
- Color a Fairchild Flower Fairy or design an original. Fairchild volunteers from Tropical Botanic Artists Group (TBAG) have designed original drawings of Fairchild Flower Fairies, starring Orchid Fairies! You can color their designs or create your own! Be sure to meet the TBAG artists under the Visitor Center loggia, and see their orchid art!
- Vanilla: The Orchid We Eat! Did you know vanilla comes from an orchid? Learn about orchids and vanilla with our Fairchild volunteers! See a real vanilla orchid, touch real vanilla beans, smell organic vanilla extract, even learn how to grow one!
- 2:00 p.m. Parade of the Flower Fairies and Friends- Join orchid fairies, pixies, sprites, and gnomes as they prance along the Orchid route accompanied by the live flute melodies of Robert Billington. You might even see princesses and pirates!
- Vendor Princess Crowns will have princess crowns, magic wands, pirate hats and more!
Special guest appearance by Michelle Domb, the Flower Fairy who will use her theatrical talents to entertain your little sprites!
Michelle Domb’s schedule:
- 11:30 Storytelling with Orchid Fairy: Fairy tales, what else?
- 12:30 Poetry reading: Original poems written for our Fairchild Orchid Fairies
- 2:00 Grand Fairy of the Parade
Special guest appearance by Sheri Bell the Party Fairy who will enchant your pixies-in-training by creating an aura of magical fun with storytelling, a fairy magic show, and will also lead the children in the Parade of Flower Fairies and Friends! Sheri Bell and friends will also be available for some "fairy pretty" face painting and photos with the
children. So don‘t forget to bring your cameras for this magical adventure!
Sheri Bell‘s schedule:
- 11:30 Introduction to the World of Fairies: magical stories that let the
- 12:30 Fairy Magic Show
- 2:00 Grand Fairy of the Parade
About the International Orchid Festival
The International Orchid Festival is in its seventh year and will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday, March 13-15, 2009, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission is free to members and children 5 and under; adults, $20 seniors, $15 and children 6-17, $10. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, Florida. Additional information about the International Orchid Festival may be found at www.fairchildgarden.org.
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is dedicated to exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants. It is one of the premier conservation and education-based gardens in the world and a recognized international leader in both Florida and international conservation. Currently Fairchild has field programs in over 20 countries including support to protected areas in Madagascar and Africa and botanic garden development and renovation projects in South and Central America, the Caribbean and Middle East. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden houses the National Palm Collection as recognized by the American Public Gardens Association (APGA), has the world’s greatest living collection of palms and cycads; an education program reaching more than 50,000 school children per year; hosts popular events like the International Chocolate Festival, International Mango Festival and International Orchid Festival, the Ramble, concerts, affiliated plant society shows and sales and more; and, is a not-for-profit organization relying on the support of its 40,000 members and benefactors. Fairchild hosts major art events such as Mark di Suvero, Fernando Botero, Dale Chihuly and Kris Martin at Fairchild this year, Botero, Lichtenstein and Chihuly at Fairchild in 2008 and Chihuly at Fairchild in 2005 and 2006. Fairchild is located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables (Miami), Florida 33156. Admission is $20 for adults, $15 for seniors, $10 for children 6-17 and free to children 5 and under and Fairchild members. For more information, please visit us at www.fairchildgarden.org and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairchild-Tropical-Botanic-Garden/21557931711.