Fairchild‘s International Chocolate Festival Coming Up In January!
Coral Gables, FL, December 23, 2008-Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is excited to announce the International Chocolate Festival will take place on Saturday and Sunday, January 24 & 25, 2009! The International Chocolate Festival is bigger and better than ever and in its third year after a whopping 12,000 attendees flocked to Fairchild last year.
For two days visitors will be immersed in the wonderful and diverse world of chocolate, from chocolate treats to tree sales, cooking demonstrations to kid‘s activities, a chocolate spa and more. In addition, Fairchild will kick off the Chocolate Festival on Thursday, January 15 with an outdoor showing of the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at 7:00 p.m. So come get a taste of chocolates from around the world and join in on the celebration of that divine tropical plant, Theobroma cacao, the source of chocolate.
Here are some of the festival highlights:
· Chocolate displays and products: Buy and taste your way around the garden house with every variety of chocolate imaginable from various chocolatiers from around the nation.
· Cooking demonstrations and lectures
· Chocolate Sculpture Contest with Johnson & Whales student chefs
- Plant sales: Try your hand at growing your very own cacao tree, enjoy the dreamy chocolate smell of a Sharry Baby orchid or buy some chocolate mint for your home garden
- Kids activities: Hershey Kiss© crafts, a chocolate scavenger hunt and many other fun things for kids to do
- Music: From the haunting sounds of the Andean mountains to African drumming, enjoy the world of chocolate through music
- Food: From Mexican mole to chocolate crepes, enjoy your favorites on the lawn. Step back into time at the House of Chocolate where you‘ll be served a variety of hot chocolates, bon bons and sumptuous chocolate treats
- ChocoSpa: mini-massages and facials as well as a variety of cacao beauty products
- Tropical Fruit Pavilion: Harvesting of cacao pods and their process demonstration all weekend long
The International Chocolate Festival is generously supported by presenting sponsor Whole Foods Market and sponsors Bella Serra, Mexico Tourism Board and Johnson & Whales University.
About the Chocolate Festival
The International Chocolate Festival will take place on Saturday and Sunday, January 24 & 25, 2009from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, 33156. Admission is $20 adults, $15 seniors, $10 children 6-17 and free to children 5 and under and Fairchild members.
In conjunction with the Festival, Fairchild will hold a showing of the movie Charlie and The Chocolate Festival on Thursday, January 15 at 7:00 p.m. For more information, please visit www.fairchildgarden.org.
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is dedicated to exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants. It is one of the premier conservation and education-based gardens in the world and a recognized international leader in both Florida and international conservation. Currently Fairchild has field programs in over 20 countries including support to protected areas in Madagascar and Africa and botanic garden development and renovation projects in South and Central America, the Caribbean and Middle East. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden houses the National Palm Collection as recognized by the American Public Gardens Association (APGA), has the world‘s greatest living collection of palms and cycads; an education program reaching more than 50,000 school children per year; hosts popular events like the International Chocolate Festival, International Mango Festival and International Orchid Festival, the Ramble, concerts, affiliated plant society shows and sales and more; and, is a not-for-profit organization relying on the support of its 40,000 members and benefactors. Fairchild hosts major art events such as Mark di Suvero at Fairchild this year, Botero, Lichtenstein and Chihuly at Fairchild in.2008 and Chihuly at Fairchild in 2005 and 2006. Fairchild is located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables (Miami), Florida 33156. Admission is $20 for adults, $15 for seniors, $10 for children 6-17 and free to children 5 and under and Fairchild members. For more information, please visit us at www.fairchildgarden.org and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairchild-Tropical-Botanic-Garden/21557931711.