While I was repotting aroids not long ago I came across a seemingly dead stem of Anthurium waroqueanum. Needing the container, I pulled out the stub and found a single fat root on it. So, I planted it in another small container, put it in one of the orchid houses, and thought, OK, let's see what happens.
What appeared to be more roots began to show up at the surface of the soil. Finally, one day I turned the container around and discovered a new leaf had developed and was hanging gracefully over the side.
Lesson learned -- again!
This stubby stem had one root
But look at the new leaf on the right.