FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media contact: Maureen Tan
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
305-667-1651, ext. 3392
Mangos for auction at Fairchild’s International Mango Festival
FAIRCHILD GARDEN CELEBRATES “WILD TO TABLE”
AT INTERNATIONAL MANGO FESTIVAL
Coral Gables, FL, May 15, 2017 – We’re wild about wild mangos! This year’s 25th Annual International Mango Festival will be held earlier than usual, on Saturday, July 1 – Sunday, July 2 from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. This year’s theme, “From Wild to Table” will explore wild cultivars and species, and look at the future of mangos in a changing world.
The weekend is filled with fun, family-friendly experiences. Some highlights include:
· Mangos of the World Display: A must-see! This is the world’s largest mango collection and guests can learn how mango colors, shapes and aromas differ from region to region. These mangos will also be available for purchase at the Mango Auction.
· Mango Taste Test: Help us decide which mango wins fan favorite by sampling bite-sized slices and analyzing the different flavor profiles. Mangos are sponsored by EcoRipe.
· Mango Masters: For the foodies, we’re offering a new special tasting and a chance to graduate with a Mango Master’s degree. It follows a formal wine tasting format and marries mango, wine, cheese. The entire process is led by mango expert and curator of tropical fruit, Dr. Noris Ledesma.
· Mango Brunch: For those eager to try more mouthwatering original mango dishes, the 18th Annual Mango Brunch brings together South Florida’s finest chefs, and will be held on July 2 at 11:00 a.m. The additional cost of the Brunch is used to raise funds for Fairchild’s Tropical Fruit Program. Please RSVP in advance by calling 305-663-8044 or registering online.
· Mango Tree Sales: Green thumb enthusiasts can peruse through our carefully selected cultivars including ‘Siamese’ from Singapore and ‘Mango Madu’ from Indonesia. Our mango experts will also be offering tips on how to care and maintain your mango trees.
· Concrete Beach Brewery Beer Garden: Budding cicerones will not want to miss the world premiere of Mango Gose, German-style wheat ale, specially created for the festival. The beer garden will host beer tastings, lawn games, and more.
· Mangoville: Mangos galore! There will be mango-centric gardening and cooking demos as well as mango lectures. Young mango enthusiasts can also learn about the history and evolution of mangos at Kidway.
· Mango Auction: The Festival culminates with this world- famous auction on July 2, 2:00 p.m., a chance to bid on rare mangos collected from around the world by Fairchild’s tropical fruit curator Dr. Noris Ledesma.
The International Mango Festival is supported by the University of Florida IFAS Extension, the USDA, HSBC, Kind snacks, International Mango Board, EcoRipe and Concrete Beach Brewery.
Admission is $25 for adults, $18 for seniors 65 and up, $12 for children 6-17, and free for Fairchild members and children 5 and under. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, FL 33156.
For more info, please visit www.fairchildgarden.org/mango or call 305-667-1651.
About Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Established in 1938 and comprising 83 acres in Miami, Fla., Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants. The world-renowned plant collections feature palms, cycads, orchids, tropical fruit trees and more. Fairchild has the largest education program of any metropolitan area, reaching more than 200,000 schoolchildren each year with environmental programs like The Fairchild Challenge. It aims to inspire a greater knowledge and love for plants and gardening so that all can enjoy the beauty and bounty of the tropical world. Special events include Chocolate, Mango, and Orchid Festivals in addition to an annual art exhibition, concerts, plant sales and more.