Josefina Yespica, BA
Controller; Director of Finance, Human Resources and Computer Systems
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Miami, FL 33156 USA
305-667-1651 ext. 3308
Certified Public Accountant, Florida. Post-Graduate Courses-Master of Science in Accounting Program; Bachelor of Business Administration--Accounting concentration; cum laude; Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi--University of Miami--Miami, Florida.
1999 to Present: Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden—Coral Gables, FL, Controller and Director of Finance, Report directly to the Treasurer of the Board of Directors. Manage Fairchild's financial, human resources and computer systems activities. Oversee all aspects of the overall maintenance of Fairchild's accounting records and systems and internal control processes and procedures. Work closely with the Treasurer, the Finance Committee of the Board and the Director of Fairchild in the implementation and maintenance of sound and conservative financial and budget controls.
1997 to 1999: Visa International, Latin America & Caribbean Region--Miami, FL, Financial Management Consulting, Supported the implementation of a project accounting system (activity-based accounting); re-engineered the purchasing cycle process and related internal control procedures; performed accounting procedures compliance reviews; and developed and implemented accounting process improvements.
1978 to 1997: Florida Power & Light Company--Miami, FL, Cost of Service, Managed cost allocation function in support of executive management strategic activities and corporate compliance with regulatory requirements. Directed the activities of ten professionals. General Accounting, Managed the general accounting functions and the related internal controls and procedures for this $12 billion company. Reported to the Controller and Vice President of Accounting. Directed the activities of four supervisors and twenty-eight professional and support staff. Developed and managed an operating budget of over $1 million. Corporate Finance, Managed the development and implementation of financing plans, corporate SEC compliance policies and procedures, SEC reports and financing registration statements filings, and financial communications programs--including financial and statistical reports, newsletters, speeches, and investor relations presentations. Served as a company spokesperson on financial matters. Reported to the CFO and Treasurer. Directed the activities of two supervisors and twelve professional and support staff. Developed and managed an operating budget of over $3 million.
1978 to 1975: Deloitte Haskins & Sells, Certified Public Accountants--Miami, FL, Senior Assistant Accountant, Participated in and supervised audit engagements, with heavy emphasis in national and international banking and non-profit and health care organizations.
Professional Training and Skills:
- Levinson Institute Seminar "...On Leadership"
- Brookings Institute Conference on the Federal Government
- Quality Improvement and Statistics Courses
- Personnel Management Courses
- Published "The Capital Structure Impact of Off-Balance Sheet Financing"--Public Utilities Fortnightly, February 15, 1990.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and computerized accounting systems
- Experienced in managing the implementation of personal computer and mainframe applications and systems
Professional and Community Activities:
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Society of Women Accountants
- Edison Electric Institute Corporate Accounting Committee, Treasurer
- Southeastern Electric Exchange Accounting & Control Section of the Accounting & Finance Division
- FPL Enersys Services, Inc.
- Vice President, FPL Federal Credit Union Board of Directors
- United Way of Dade County
- Children's Home Society of Florida