Facilities Associate (F/T)
This is a full time position with benefits. The salary is $14 per hour.
- Remove all trash from buildings and grounds on a daily basis. Monitor the trash throughout the day and dispose of trash before the trash can becomes full
- Clean all buildings, dining areas, and other public and office spaces according to the departmental task checklist. Provide feedback on additional items that need to be added to the checklist. Proactively seek out additional cleaning tasks and complete them
- Setup and break down of meeting rooms as needed
- Provide weekly cleaning service to the off site research center
- Provide event support as scheduled, including festivals, weddings, and meetings
- Report any maintenance issues immediately to the maintenance supervisor
- Assist with pressure washing as assigned
- A commitment to superior customer service
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, early mornings, days, weekends, and holidays. Ability to work a consistent weekly schedule
- Ability to work as a team player
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license
To apply for this position, please email a resume to email@example.com or fax it to 305.663.4944. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
Shop Manager, F/T
The Shop Manager is responsible for supervising the shop, admissions, and Information Desk staff, promoting the sales of merchandise and memberships, store buying, database management, and ensuring guest satisfaction at Fairchild. The Shop Manager should be prepared to work as part of a team, and as a team leader, by being friendly, courteous, and respectful of fellow team members and expressing a positive attitude. The Shop Manager is expected to be an active salesperson and sales coach, as well as providing and ensuring exceptional guest services.
Ensuring all staff members and volunteers in the Shop at Fairchild are performing their job duties at all times, including sales, customer service, display work, cleaning, and processing merchandise. Ensuring that Garden guests are receiving the appropriate level of outstanding customer service at all times. Training and coaching team members on all job responsibilities as assigned.
Scheduling store staff:
- Supporting the sales procedures, retail policies and procedures, and any assigned tasks by modeling a positive demeanor for the Shop team members. Communicating any changes in policy or procedure, new promotions, new Garden information, updates, and any other new information to the Shop team members. Correcting and resolving any incidents of team members not following procedures or providing incorrect information.
- Educating self about products in order to share this knowledge with guests. Educating self about Garden promotions, activities, and initiatives with the ability to express them to guests. Understanding and expressing all membership promotions, donation programs, and Shop sales. Educating self about daily activities and events as listed on the daily sheet or as received via email. Communicating this information to the retail team.
- Opening and closing The Shop at Fairchild according to established retail procedures. Supervising cash handling and cash deposits, including resolving all cash register or deposit errors.
- Building eye-catching, relevant, and timely merchandise displays.
- Resolving all guest complaints. Answering all guest questions, including researching answers and following up with guests.
- Preparing the Shop for inventory and performing inventory.
- Buying and ordering for The Shop at Fairchild, including merchandise and supplies. Receiving merchandise according to the financial standards and requirements of Fairchild. Submitting check requests in a timely manner to the finance office for vendor payment.
- Maintaining the store, admissions, and membership database, including creating new SKUs, posting to the website, and providing reports to the finance office.
- Preparing sales reports after festivals and as needed and preparing the monthly department transfers report to the finance office.
- Working in the store as needed, with duties including cash handling, sales, food sales, and merchandise processing.
- Scheduling and supervising staff in the lowlands admissions area and pop-up retail tents. Merchandising retail pop-up locations.
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- A commitment to superior customer service and guest satisfaction.
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with POS systems, including retail databases.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- At least three years of retail management experience and two years of retail buying experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami, Florida is seeking prospective Ph.D. students to join our Graduate Fellowship program. Qualified candidates would be interested in joining one of our partner graduate programs at the University of Miami or Florida International University to study biology, agriculture, environmental science, or STEM education.
Our program offers up to three years of support. During those years, students serve as part-time teaching assistants with Fairchild’s award-winning educational outreach programs. These include our Growing Beyond Earth partnership with NASA, the Million Orchid Project, and other major citizen science initiatives. For the right kind of student, our program can provide fantastic opportunities for developing skills in science education and public outreach.
Graduate Fellows are encouraged to use Fairchild’s world-class plant collections and facilities. Our greenhouses and DNA, microscopy, and micropropagation labs are stocked with basic supplies to get students up and running. On a competitive basis, supported students can apply for travel and research funds from Fairchild.
Please submit a letter of interest, official undergraduate transcripts, GRE scores, and CV to Amy Padolf, Director of Education at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until December 1, 2018, for the 2019-20 academic year.
This position will assist in delivering environmental science-based educational programming to elementary and/or secondary students at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Programs run weekly during the school year from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm; must be able to commit to at least one day per week (during program hours) for fall and/or spring semester. Preference will be given to those who are available September – May.
Note: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis
Candidates must submit a resume, brief cover letter, and application to Amy Padolf, Director of Education.