Chief Operating Officer
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Miami, FL 33156 USA
305.667.1651 ext. 3383
MS in Leadership, Nova Southeastern University (September 2012)
BA, English Literature and Business Management, Florida International University
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden—Coral Gables, Florida (2002-Present)
- Chief Operating Officer (2006-Present): Manages Fairchild’s operations, including retail operations, events, marketing, Web site and social media, facilities, public relations, donor relations, food service, membership, visitor services, admissions, vehicle fleet, art program, various off-site contracts, capital development and more. Manages ~60 employees and is responsible for the annual operations budget of approximately $2.5 million and $1 million annual art program. Is liaison to $15 million government bond program. Works closely with the Board of Trustees.
- Director of Marketing and Communications (Present): Responsible for print, TV, radio and electronic communications, as well as public relations. Oversees editorial and design of award-winning magazine. Responsible for delivery of key branding and messaging to audiences. Responsible for paid advertising, media buys, brand management and awareness and market research. Responsible for institution-wide message and standards identity.
- Marketing and Special Events (2002-2004): Responsible for management of major special events, including logistics and marketing. Successfully launched new major events, created financial reporting system for existing events. Created sales program for rental facility.
American Welding Society (1995-2002)
- Corporate Director – Corporate Communications (1997-2002): Responsible marketing, public relations and Web site operations, as well as a $1.7 million annual departmental budget and a five-member staff. Functions included production and dissemination of media releases, marketing and communication plans, creation of an annual report, all corporate awareness promotion, maintenance of performance and comparative data, production of PSA spots, videos, and presentation materials. Worked closely with Board of Directors.
- Director of Conferences (1996-1997): Responsible for producing continuing education seminars both offsite and in-house. Functions included planning and preparing all logistics, including hotel contracting, banquet event order confirmations, marketing of events and coordinating of speakers. Achieved annual revenue goal of $1.2M and 33% expansion of events and sites. Supervised three staff members. Served as organization’s internal lead auditor, compliant to ISO-9001:2000 standard.
Executive Assistant (1995-1996): Responsible for communication with volunteer leadership. Prepared minutes and agenda (according to Robert’s Rules of Order) for 35-member Board and 100+ -committee structure. Maintained corporate records, managed administrative office environment and served as assistant to the Secretary to the Board of Directors and CEO.
Professional Training and Skills
- Certified Internal Lead Auditor to ISO - Successfully completed training and certification in compliance with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) ISO 9001:2002 Standard.
- Continuing Education: Attended and completed continuing education conferences on public relations, association management, personnel development, team building, marketing, meeting planning, computer software, customer service, Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator, time management, quality assurance, parliamentary documentation, and more. Certified Association Executive (CAE) candidate. Have received various awards and accolades.
- Proficiencies: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Groove, Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, Raiser’s Edge, Various Social Media and more. Experienced in implementing content management-based systems. Fluent in English and Spanish.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Society of Association Executives, American Marketing Association, Public Relations Society of America, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Supports various other membership organizations, Member of various local Chambers of Commerce, Sits on various local organizations’ committees, I9 Sports Volunteer, Supports various school-based initiatives, Supports various organizations.